Oral Health Tips- How to Take Care of Your Teeth and Gums
A beautiful smile is the pride of every individual. However, no beauty comes out of an empty mouth. And that’s one of the reasons your teeth are essential. They give your face a shape and beautify your smile, help you to chew, pronounce sounds clearly, and digest foods. However, sometimes you can develop teeth problems, denying you the beauty of a smile and other benefits that come with oral health. If you think you have an issue, get dentist services Huntsville-based to help you start a journey to healthy gums and teeth. However, here are some tips to help you maintain oral health.
What Are the Common Dental Problems?
Some of the most common dental problems include:
- Abscess- Manifests as a pocket of pus that occurs due to an infection in your tooth
- Tooth Injuries– fragmented or broken teeth
- Cavities (tooth decay) – Typically caused by eating and drinking high-carbohydrate foods
- Periodontal (gum) disease– Often resulting from inflammation and infections of the bone and gums surrounding and supporting your teeth
- Oral Cancer– is one of the most dangerous oral problems, typically caused by tobacco products
How Can You Keep Your Teeth and Gums Healthy
While there are numerous risks associated with teeth, there are also many ways you can take care of your oral health and ensure you preserve your beautiful smile for a lifetime. One of the most effective tips is brushing your teeth.
Similarly, you should ensure that you take a tooth-friendly diet, watch your lifestyle habits, and protect your teeth from harm that could cause breakage and injuries. Some of the practices to stop include:
- Avoid tobacco products
- Avoid or eat sugary foods in moderation
- Manage health conditions like diabetes, as that reduces chances of gum infections
- Moderate alcoholic intake
- Use fluoridated toothpaste and water
- Schedule at least two dentist visits yearly, even when you have no complications
- Control dry mouth. If it’s unstoppable, drink lots of water to keep your mouth wet
- See your dentist at the onset of any dental irregularity
- Practice oral hygiene
How do you Clean Your Teeth and Gums?
Your teeth are essential assets in your overall health and appearance. One of the best ways to ensure dental well-being is by practicing oral hygiene. Are you sure you’re doing it the right way? Here are some tips to help you.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste
- Brush daily before going to bed and at least once during the day
- After every brushing, spit and let the fluoride stay in your teeth for some time before gargling water.
- Change your toothbrush at least 3 to 4 times yearly
- Brush your teeth and tongue using a soft-bristle toothbrush
- If you’re a caretaker, ensure the people under your care maintain oral hygiene. You can also offer to help them if they have a problem brushing.
- If you have arthritis or any other condition that hinders your hand motion, consider using a toothbrush with a wider handle, attaching it to your hand with a wide elastic band, or buying a battery or electric-powered toothbrush
Oral health is essential to everyone, including children and the elderly. That’s why you need to ensure that your teeth are strong and healthy at all times. Visit your dentist any time you notice any problem.